Re: RE: Instrument Rebuild Recommendations

From: U. Goettsch (ulix(at)u.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 01 1995 - 01:53:50 CST

On 31 Oct 1995, Jay Laifman wrote:

> I guess that is just about it. Oh, one last thing. I do not know
> what the proper procedure is for determining where the needle should go
> on the shaft. I left it so that it rested on the "0" pin, with maybe a
> very very slight pressure (for all I know any amount of pressure will
> advance the deterioration of the spring). It seems to be working

I found out (the hard way of course) that on some speedos (this one was a
VDO), there is a little mark on the speedo face in the counterclockwise
direction of the zero pin. It seems that you stick the needle on aligned
with this mark, then carefully lift it over the zero pin, so that it then
has some pressure against the pin.
The speedo seemed to work fine, while it was about 13mph fast when I had
just let the needle rest against the pin with no tension.
I don't remember if my Smiths has a mark like that, I didn't go further
that the taking the glass off.

While on the subject, my speedo sweeps too (on my Sprite), sometimes more
than others, should I even bother to change the cable, or do I have
to definitely take it apart?

                      sprite caddy