RE: Alpine Drought

From: Frank Marrone (marrone(at)wco.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 1996 - 01:18:23 CST

Yes, I've recently reread Taylors book on the Tiger and I noted this. But
starting the replacement for a discontinued model a year after termination
of production seems a bit short sighted even for a smallish British
manufacturer. And then it isn't as if they pulled out all the stops to get
the Series Alpine into production. If no one can offer up a more
satisfactory answer I'll assume that this was in character for Rootes which
was a rather conservative manufacturer. As Craig pointed out there was
always the Minx.

Craig, thanks for resending your message.

>Frank Marrone writes:
>> It answered the "what options?" question but not the "why?". At 3000 units
>> for three years of production, it sounds like the cars were fairly good
>> sellers. Why no follow up model?
>
>Work on the series Alpine started in 1956 or before. Check
>http://www.team.net/www/rootes/sunbeam/alpine/mk1-5/history.html for
>more info.
>--
>T.J. Higgins