ignition wiring

From: Michael Fisher (fisher(at)tomahawk.dst.battelle.org)
Date: Mon Apr 01 1996 - 14:30:28 CST

The server said my first try was corrupt and it didn't post. If you got the
first one, I'm sorry that you got this reposting...

I have been spending a lot of time trying to unscrew the wiring in my Series V.
 This has lead to some questions about the ignition circuit.

The ignition switch has four posts: battery, accessory, starter and ignition.
 I have checked the operation of the ignition switch: continuity between
battery and accessory when the key is turned to the left (accessory position)
and when the key is turned to the right (on position); continuity between
battery and starter when the key is turned to the start position (against the
spring, past the on position); and continuity between battery and ignition when
the key is in the on position and when the start position. This all makes
perfect sense to me, so I think the ignition switch is ok.

When I got the car, it was wired as follows: + side of battery to battery post
on ignition switch; heavy guage wire from accessory post to #3 post on fuse
box, another lead from the accessory post directly to the tach (power to tach);
a lead from starter post to starter solenoid, another lead from starter post
through inductive pick-up on tach , then to ballast resistor and finally to +
terminal on coil; mystery wire from ignition post to I don't know where. The
strange thing is the car would start and run, even with this setup. Note that
the only lead I get to the coil is from the starter post (error in first
posting) which goes dead after key is released to on position. The starter
cranks pretty slowly as if it is not getting enough current (short somewhere).

When I checked this against the wiring diagrams in the 1725 shop manual, I
really became confused. The Alpine wiring diagram on page 55 of section N
shows no connection from the ignition post of the ignition switch, and shows an
accessory connection through the inductive pick-up on the tach to the +
terminal on the coil. The way my switch works, that means no power to the coil
when the key is in the start position. When I wire it this way, the car will
not start. Fig 34 on page 43 of section B shows the same circuit without the
tach, if I assume that terminal 2 on the ignition switch is the same as
terminal 2 in the wiring diagram, the accessory post.

Since none of this made sense to me, and there seemed to be a short somewhere
when I tried to start the car, I have rewired it as follows: change the lead
for the tach-coil circuit from the starter post to the ignition post, remove
the mystery wire. Now the coil gets power when the key is in the on or start
position. The mystery wire is disconnected (it is a brown wire, but I still
haven't found the other end). The starter cranks much faster and the car
starts easier.

My question is threefold:

     Do I now have the circuit wired correctly?

     What is the mystery wire?

     Is the wiring diagram in the manual incorrect for the ignition circuit?

All responses are welcome.

P.S. I also need the turn signal switch that mounts on the steering column.
 The way the lightinh and turn signal cicuits are wired is the next problem.
 Anybody have one in their spare parts box they want to sell?

--

Mike Fisher

fisher(at)tomahawk.dst.battelle.org "The leader has a sense of humor. He is not a stuffed shirt. He can laugh at 614/424-3620 himself. He has a humble spirit." 614/424-3918 (FAX) If I knew what I was doing, it wouldn't Battelle be research. 505 King Avenue Columbus, OH 43201-2693 "In science we can't let some guy from Podunk have the same vote as Fermi." I.I. Rabi --------------------------------------------------------------------------------