Re: Re[2]: Oil FIlter/Manifold 'By Pass' valve to Oil Cooler on

From: John Souders (frodo4(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 1996 - 17:39:39 CDT

You wrote:

> No, its not from the cooler itself: The area it is coming from
is
> where the 'round' oil cooler connects to the 'square' manifold
> section. The square manifold section has a pipe off the top
which
> helps hold the oil cooler to the bracket, and also this pipe is
where
> the oil line gets connected.
>
> This would be real easy, except that when this car was repainted
(not
> by me) all of these fittings and hoses also got painted. Hence,
> can't get the dumb thing apart. I have been fussing with this
section
> for a couple of weeks, applying lubricants, rust removers,
chipping a
> the paint etc.. I have now reach the stage where I am starting
> take this personal!
>
> The (rational) Options as I see it:
>
> 1. Put in a new oil cool and leave the old one in place, reroute
> hoses.
>
> 2. Take a hacksaw to nuts and try not to screw up the threads on
the
> pipe too much in the process.
>
> Other options which come to mind where not included, to prevent
waste
> of band width.
>

> Any other options? or comments?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Jim Neawedde

I think those are the options - or fit aftermarket cooler, and cut the
old one off.

To fix the old one, it will have to come off anyway - I would think.
Until then, u wont be able to see where or why the leak is.

Those bolts will probably come off eventually - the application of heat
may help - as long as you can do it without messing the paint.

Or as a temporary fix, just bypass the cooler. Remember that earlier
Alpines didnt have a cooler, and in fact in my Series IV I've been
running the V engine without a cooler for the last year. (I am going to
fit one eventually, as it gets quite hot in San Diego.)

Good luck

John