Re: Alpine Heads

From: DSand95510(at)aol.com
Date: Mon May 20 1996 - 20:56:54 CDT

> What are the diferences
>between the V heads, and the earlier heads. I have two, one has tubes
>around the plugs, and the other doesn't, I am assuming the one with tubes
>is a V head. Is there any other difference?

The one without "tubes" is probably from a very late Series V. I assume the
one without tubes has more of a pocket-shaped recess around the plugs.

The valves are slightly smaller on the 1592 head. There should also be a
water fitting at the back end of the the 1592 head. A pipe connects this to
the dual Zenith manifold. On the 1725cc the water fitting is blanked off or
plugged.

A few part numbers you may find stamped on the heads:

1592cc: 5220474 or 5220609 or 5220806

1725cc: 5220955 or 5220968