RE: Smog Protests

From: lallegrucci(at)westpub.com
Date: Thu Aug 08 1996 - 23:22:58 CDT

Regarding old clunker smog laws. I know I've heard it somewhere that 80 percent
of the pollution attributed to your average motor vehicle is produced during its
manufacture. Assuming a ten year lifespan for a car, you could drive your old
car forty years before equalling the amount of pollution created during the
production of a new car. Many enviornmentally concerned citizens are being fed
limited staistics which ignore the enviornmental costs of production: mining
ore, refining, transporting raw mterials, machining, chemical factories, heck,
even recycling requires melting it down again. I don't advocate the cessation
of all new manufacturing, just a rational view of the really big picture
regarding clunker laws. It would seem to be in the best interest of certain
parties ( ie GM,Ford,Chrysler and the related industries) to encourage the
production and purchase of newer enviornmentally frendly vehicles. These same
parties make serious contributions to many politicians'. Hmmmm.

Brian Corrigan
67 Alpine V