Alpine Hot start problem

From: Tom Yang (73742.1362(at)CompuServe.COM)
Date: Wed Aug 14 1996 - 11:02:40 CDT

 I seem to have a "Hot Start" problem with my Series V Alpine, but I'm having
some problems figuring it out. The Alpine would start fine when cold, but would
lug the starter when it warmed up. Of course it was never consistent, but if it
did have a problem, the motor would always be hot. I first got myself a new
battery to make sure it was getting enough amperage. I also cleaned the
terminals and contacts. I thought at first I had solved my problem, but soon the
hot start problem returned. I don't have any sophisticated equipment, but when I
turned on the headlights, they seemed to be bright.

Well my problem went from bad to worse the other day. I got home shut down the
car, and just for kicks tried to see if it would start. It lugged but then
started to click. I tried the headlights, bright, and no dimming when bumping
the starter. I charged the battery anyway, but no change. It now won't even
start when cold. I thought maybe the starter gear was stuck, so I rapped on the
starter, but no luck. My test light shows juice to the starter from the selenoid
when I bump it. Could I have screwed up the starter? It's relatively new. I have
the old one, that I swapped out thinking that was the problem, so I'll be trying
that one this weekend. Any other tips? Help!!