PCV and Webers

From: Jay Laifman (JLAIFMAN(at)pnm.mhs.compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Aug 26 1996 - 12:58:57 CDT

Jarrid commented that he had not heard of a performance problem with
running a PCV valve. I have had one and thought I would pass it along.
My Weber manifold has four "runners" or "tubes", one for each cylinder and
carb (each Weber is really two separate carbs, making four carbs for
the engine). There is one hole on one runner into which I put the PCV
valve. On the stock Series V intake manifold, the two carbs and all the
cylinders are joined through one chamber. The PCV valve goes to this
shared chamber. On the stock manifold, the vacuum is more constant - when
one cylinder is not sucking, another will be. With mine, the one runner
with the PCV valve will only have vacuum when that one cylinder has vacuum
- so there are more dramatic swings in the vacuum cycle. This has caused
the PCV valve to open and close with an audible "clack" and also reduce
the performance of the one cylinder.

I understand that the best way to hook a PCV up in this situation is to
run some port off of each runner to create a more even vacuum chamber.
But, for now, I don't have one.

I have bought a new PCV spring to check and see if the old spring just
wore out. But, I don't really think so.

Jay Laifman