Re: Alpine Info needed

From: John T. Blair (jblair(at)exis.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 1996 - 15:57:28 CDT

At 03:11 PM 8/26/96 CDT, T.J. Higgins wrote:

<snip>
>Based on your description above, it's probably a good thing that you
>didn't buy the one you looked at. Unless you can get it for almost
>nothing, and plan to do a ground up restoration, skip any car that
>needs sill work. A solid, rust-free body is one of the most
>important, if not the most important, factors to consider when
>purchasing an Alpine.

This is very sound advise and germain to monocoque build car as the
sills appear to be where most of the strength is.

The exception to this is if you have already done this kind of work
before and have the requisite welding equipment and knowledge.
Otherwise, sheet metal work will raise the cost of any restoration
amaizingly.

I hate to see a lot of decent cars get thrown away because of rust,
but I agree. This is the single most important item in purchasing
any car, other that the price. If the price is right for a car with
considerable rust, I look at it as a parts car.

John
John T. Blair WA4OHZ email: jblair(at)exis.net
Va. Beach, Va Phone: (757) 495-8229

48 TR1800 48 #4 Midget 65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
     75 Bricklin SV1 77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!