Re: A new noise...

From: DSand95510(at)aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 27 1996 - 21:23:35 CDT

In a message dated 96-08-27 16:34:48 EDT, dbilesky(at)cln.etc.bc.ca (TheMole)
writes:

>Front end ...
>
>Sounds like metal rubbing up against the fan blade and no there isn't.
>
>Quite loud and varying in degree. Difficult to tell the exact location.
>
>1. Water Pump ?
> a. does not leak.
> b. the temp in the car is exact and no water loss anywhere.
>
>2. Alternator ?
> a. has been weak since I owned it.
>
> b. If this is it, is there a very powerful replacement?
> I would like halogens, fogs and a large amp.
>

>your thoughts before I tackle it....

Sounds like the alternator. Maybe the rear bearing or a bad diode(s).
  Even a marginally overtightened belt will hasten the wear.

Just to be sure it isn't something internal, remove the fan belt and start it
up (briefly).

If its the alternator and its in particularly bad shape, check the play in
the shaft; it may be very obvious.