RE: Ring Gear Bolt Replacment

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 10:14:00 CST

Richard wrote,

> Just a question here. Has anyone heard of replacement Alpine
>Axle shaft and bearing retainers that do NOT have the keyed taper press
>fit removable hubs? ie. a one piece axle like most cars have.? I tore
>up an axle and a hub when I had my 65 Alpine, and I was just wondering
>if anyone made one piece units.
> And while I'm at it, has anyone ever done a IRS conversion to
>something like a Jag XKE rear end, or Triumph Stag style? Just
>wondering what the car would be like with an IRS.
>
>Rich
>
>(think this will start a new thread?)

One piece axles could not be made to function in an Alpine.

The problem here is that the bearing must be installed from the hub side
of the axle.
This is because alpines have a thrid member, and the axle is captivated
by
the outside bearing. If the bearing were installed from the diff side,
the axle would be able to be pulled from the rear end during cornering.

Other cars that do not have a third member "cars with axle case plates"
typically
can have one piece axles, as the axles are often captivated by clips,
which
keeps the axle ends from being pulled from the diff section.

These type rear ends can thus have the bearing installed from the other
side of the axle.

As for IRS, have you seen a Miata rear suspension?

It uses a modified RX-7 differential, and often is equipped with a
Torsen "Torque sensing" limited slip differential.

I would love to have one of these babies in my alpine "Insert drool
here".

Jarrid Gross