Re: IRS for Alpines/Tigers

From: Kempinski, Robert M. (RKEMPINS(at)ssf4.jsc.nasa.gov)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 10:35:00 CST

------
REPLY FROM: Kempinski, Robert M.

>> (think this will start a new thread?)
>>paul,

>Rich: The Factory (Rootes) did an IRS Tiger prototype.
>Here's some bench racing "what if's" that come to mind
>. The current
>series Thunderbird/Cougar has IRS. Any possiblility of that being
>swapped into a ALP/TIG?

Paul,

I talked about this a while ago with a Ford fanatic
at work. He seemed to think it would work, but it
would probably require significant structural mods
to the Alpine/Tiger frame. Some of the T-bird
components mount to brackets welded (and
reinforced) on the unibody. Another concern
would be horsepower rating of the T-bird unit.
A stock Alpine engine wouldn't be a
problem for the T- bird rear, but who wants
stock. A mildly improved Tiger motor would
probably hurt the T-bird IRS. This is one of the
reasons I suspect you don't see many hot rodders
using the T-bird IRS.

>Also at the junkyard this
>weekend, I noticed that the 1st
>series Mitsubishi/Dodge Starion Turbo is also IRS. The car is (at) the same
>width as a ALP/TIG. And the turbo 4 cyl. made for some serious H.P. This
>would make an intersting engine swap in an Alpine.

Definite food for thought - especially for someone
with an old Alpine shell lying around (right Joe!)

Rob Kempinski
Houston Texas