RE: Shifter rattling

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 13:30:00 CST

Tom and alpines,

>Over the past few months my geqrshift has begun to rattle. If I hold
>the shifter, it stops, but when I let go it does it again. It is more
>pronounced when it is cold and does it in all gears. Does this sound
>like something can be done without ripping out the transmission?
>Tom Voltaggio
>Team OS/2

Here are some thoughts on this problem.

The shifter is held in place with a metal plate and 4 screws. The metal
plate
holds a spring that pushes on a metal semi-sperical bearing that the
shifter
ball rides on.

If the scews are loose, the whole assembly will rattle.

If the plastic shifter ball is worn, it all gets sloppy, and it will
vibrate.

The plastic ball has metal pins that provide the pivot for the shifter.
If the pins are worn, or more likely the seating locations on the top
cover itself,
the shifter will vibrate about the loose pins/cover.

Also some transmisions have a spring loaded piece on the shifter rail on
the side of the top cover assy. The purpose of this is to damp
vibrations of the shifter long rod.
If the shifter rod bushes in the top cover get worn, the rod will
resonate, but would not likely virbrate at all RPMs.

Any of these problems can be rectified without removal of the
transmision, unless the
problem requires replacement of the top cover itself.

Also, is it possible that you have developed a vibration problem?

Dampers are notorious for cracking at the key, and becoming loose.

My $.02
Jarrid Gross