Re: Sunbeam Talbot Coupe

From: Bob Hamilton (hamilton(at)cast.navnet.net)
Date: Thu Apr 03 1997 - 20:54:22 CST

Roger,

        Thanks for the information on what will be a very unusual car and I for
one will look forward to seeing a photograph posted somewhere in the Alpine
area here.

regards,
Bob

At 10:15 AM 4/4/97 EST, you wrote:
> Beamers,
> I can concur with Anthony that the car in question is not a factory
> built unit. It was converted about two years ago by Frank Hammond who
> lives near Newcastle NSW (about 2hrs north of Sydney) from a four door
> sedan. Frank did not like the way the access was restricted to the
> interior by the relatively narrow doors (both front and rear) and
> cosidered building a two door drophead before settling on the coupe
> conversion. He went over Len Shute's drophead (MkII) prior to this
> decision very carefully and only made his final decision when he had
> the saloon body in a stripped down state. I gave him help with the
> combinations of gearboxes available from the Rootes range so he could
> use overdrive (I think he ended up with a Series Hawk gearbox with the
> original type A OD and a Series Hillman/Sunbeam floor change). I have
> not seen the car yet but have heard good reports from fellow beamer up
> Newcastle way about the quality of work that he has done and also
> reports about how good it looks! When I eventually see it I'll try to
> get a photo of it and put it on the net.
> Cheers, Roger.

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The Man of Many Sunbeams - All "Proper" Talbot Types 1953-1954
Motorcycles: 1991 Yamaha Venture Royale, 1994 Honda 750 Shadow
E-Mail: hamilton(at)cast.navnet.net