Re: new owner

From: Paul Rische (prische(at)mshare.cupertino.k12.ca.us)
Date: Mon Apr 07 1997 - 13:24:16 CDT

This car is going to be a driver that I want to last my daughter through
>college. I want it to be sound and as maintenance free as possible. I
>intend to install an alternator and negative ground. I am insisting that
>my daughter work along side of me so that she will know how the damn
>thing works and how to fix it. However a college parking lot is no
>where to do serious repairs on a car (I once replaced an engine in my
>'40 Ford in Iowa in the dead of winter in the dorm parking lot).
>
>I fear that I have made a rather expensive trip down memory lane. All
>tips concerning parts vendors and just "watch out for this dummie" will
>be appreciated.

The way most (not all) college students treat their cars I wouldn't spend
the effort for them with a classic like the sunbeam. With all the effort
you are going to go through to restore it will cause you grief everytime a
ding or scratch happens. I have two boys, one in college that are not in
love with my sunbeam...they like it, but need a car that you don't care
about. College kids need something that they can abuse and neglect and is
safe and reliable.

by the way...the series V already has an alternator and negative earth
electronics...no need to change anything there.

good luck..