Re: new owner

From: W. R. Gibbons (gibbons(at)northpole.med.uvm.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 07 1997 - 15:15:41 CDT

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Paul Rische wrote:

> This car is going to be a driver that I want to last my daughter through
> >college. I want it to be sound and as maintenance free as possible. I
> >intend to install an alternator and negative ground. I am insisting that
> >my daughter work along side of me so that she will know how the damn
> >thing works and how to fix it. However a college parking lot is no
> >where to do serious repairs on a car (I once replaced an engine in my
> >'40 Ford in Iowa in the dead of winter in the dorm parking lot).
> >
> >I fear that I have made a rather expensive trip down memory lane. All
> >tips concerning parts vendors and just "watch out for this dummie" will
> >be appreciated.
> >
> The way most (not all) college students treat their cars I wouldn't spend
> the effort for them with a classic like the sunbeam. With all the effort
> you are going to go through to restore it will cause you grief everytime a
> ding or scratch happens. I have two boys, one in college that are not in
> love with my sunbeam...they like it, but need a car that you don't care
> about. College kids need something that they can abuse and neglect and is
> safe and reliable.

This reminds me of my first year in college, way back when. A classmate
arrived in a freshly restored black Cord convertible. It used to kill me
to see that Cord parallel parked on the street outside his apartment.

   Ray Gibbons Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                gibbons(at)northpole.med.uvm.edu (802) 656-8910