Re: Vanishing Brake Fluid and Ring Gear Bolts

From: Brian Carpenter (bricarp(at)paul.spu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 11:01:23 CDT

Sieg
        Yes I would and I did.
        Last fall when I acquired my Series V a loud grinding sound in the
diff was the first thing needing attention. D Sanders and other very
helpfull [and knowledgeable] members of the Pacific Tiger Club here in
Seattle gave me the low down on ring gear bolts so I intended to try the
cure. As it turned out they were all loose as expected but the problem
was more serious [crown wheel and pinion badly worn] so I [gasp]
got a "new
old stock" diff unit from Rick at S Specialties. I chose the 3.889:1. I
understand that is the unit that came on the car [w/o overdrive] but I had
a 4.22 in it. Now I really do not know how much difference it will make.
Maybe I have in backwards but I figured that I could get a few extra MPH
per 1000 RPM. According to Chris McGovern's book "The Classic Sunbeam"
"... the 3.89 ratio gives gearing at 18.7 MPH per 1,000 RPM in top, and a
genuine 100 MPH might be possible without over-revving." That is 75 MPH
at 4000 RPM or 56 MPH at 3000.
        Does anyone know if these numbers are correct? I can't test it
yet as I have a major tune-up to do and my alternator is in the shop
getting the front bracket welded into one piece [at Walrus Custom
Fabrication - but describing that place is another story]. I also will
need Dick or Jim's help balancing the Strombergs.
        Rob C
        Series V
        Seattle
P.S. one more factor on the RPM/MPH is tyre [do you like that?] size. I
need a full set. Now have 175/75 R13. Any comments on size selection
would be appreciated.