Cold Weather Tricks

From: palmjel(at)byteserver.bytehead.com
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 12:52:43 CDT

Greetings from frigid Wisconsin:

A first for me: Lately, with the temp below freezing, my solenoid will not
activate the starter when using the ignition switch. Turn the key, no
response. If I raise the bonnet and manually activate the solenoid through
the rubber covered plunger, it runs the starter and the engine starts right
up. Once started, I then can use the ignition switch in the usual manner
for any restart. Any thoughts?
I have a new, heavy duty battery, fully charged. The solenoid is new. The
cables, battery and starter, are new. The wiring between the ignition switch
and the solenoid is new. All connections were cleaned before attaching new
cables/wires. After many years of Alpines in cold weather, this is a first!

Paul