rebuild time line

From: Paul Gilbert (pgilbert(at)worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 23:53:16 CDT

I am going against conventional wisdom as posted on this forum. I want
to get my Series V rolling in its' full glory in months rather than
years. The impetus for this is I justified the whole project to my wife
as a car for my daughter, rather than what it really is - a return to
youth for dad. (I remember my SI fondly)

My question: Since I am completely disassembling the car why not simply
dip the whole thing. As I understand the process the shell is first
immersed in stripper and then in phosphoric acid. It comes out bright
metal clean with a phosphotized coating which will inhibit rust for a
few days until it gets thoroughly primed. Then new panels and
structural members are welded into place and the shell is now ready for
painting. Has anyone taken this approach? What are the merits/demerits
of this procedure other than time and money? There is only one shop in
LA capable of dipping a shell and they have a 3 mo. backlog and a $6-700
price tag.

It now is becoming evident that I could have purchased a late model used
Jap car for my daughter for what this Alpine is going to cost me. She
may have trouble prying my fingers off its' wheel.