Losing Water

From: Anthony Robinson (anthonyr(at)aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU)
Date: Sun Apr 13 1997 - 21:00:29 CDT

Thankyou all for your responses to my concerns about the state of the head
or gasket in my Alpine. I did a compression test and all figures were
within 5 psi of 170 psi; so I was satisfied that the gasket was still working.

Today I found the real cause, the welsh plug on the rear of the engine has
gone. Enough to let a trickle of water out. So I dug out the corrosion
with my finger and the water poured out when I took of the radiator cap.

My question is can I replace the plug without removing the engine? The
engine is a 1725 in a series II, the plug in question is the one in the
engine block just above the bell housing for the clutch. I think I can get
the old one out, but it seems it would be very difficult to get a new one
in and be certain of it being correctly seated.

Thanks, Anthony.