RE: More info on a series III in Australia

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 1997 - 10:30:00 CDT

Paul,

>The car looks very sound, with only a few problems:
>Diff whine (not too bad, but audible)
>Second gear synchro weak
>hoses, engine & gearbox mounts perished
>Rear brake cylinders held in place with fencing wire (can I buy the
correct
>clips?)
Right axle seal leaking
Cracks at front of rear springs, where spring hangers join chassis
Slight steering box & LH tie rod end freeplay.
Some rust at rear of outer sills, and at rear of back wheel arches.
Front brakes pull to the left, and take a while to free up after being
applied.

>The Sunbeam logo is missing from the rocker cover. There is just a
raised
>blank area where the big "S" should be. Does the logo detatch from the
>cover, is the cover from something else, or why would someone machine
the
>logo off the cover?

This is normal for later model Sunbeam rocker covers.
Seems like the Chryslor influence induced cheapness at the expense of
art.

>The car has 14x6 Minilites clones with 185-70 tyres - too big for the
car?
>The back ones slightly scrape the top of the wheel arches, while the
front
>LH tyre catches on the bottom front edge of the mudguard. Is there a
>"recommended" wheel/tyre combo for mags? Is the bolt pattern the same
as
>other brit cars (ie could someone else use these mags if I were to buy
>narrower wheel)?

The wheels are 4 on 4 1/4 inch "4 lug Ford", also known as 4 lug 108mm.

The wheel should not scrape with the tires specified.
Sounds like someone put on some rims with too much offset.

I bought some minilite replicas for my car a few years back from
Superlite, I specified 6 inch rims with 4.25 inch offset. The wheels
work excelent with 13 205 60s.

The insides of the tires rub on the inside frame on really really hard
turns,
but 1/4 inch wheel spacers would fix this.

Jarrid Gross