Re: Where to buy ring gear bolts?

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 10:16:00 CDT

Sergio ,

>All you Alpiners, aren't these bolts supposed to be torqued to a
>specified setting? What is the torque spec? Why are they coming loose?
>Should the setting be higher?
>
>Is there a RSB that mentions this problem?
>
>Sergio :(

the spec is 50 lb ft of torque, and no fastener should ever be torqued
beyond
the specified settings.

As far as the problem with the bolts comming loose, many people have the
oppinon that the locking washers that are installed beneath the bolt
head,
is too soft a material, and somehow compress, thus allowing play in the
ring gear.

I used normal steel washers as replacments, and thread locker.

The next time I get back to the rear end, I think I'll use racing wire,
and
do it right.

Jarrid