Re: Engaging overdrive

From: Heuer, Paul (paul.heuer(at)dsto.defence.gov.au)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 18:06:23 CDT

Jon Arzt wrote:
<<snip>>
And by the way, I do not use the clutch for upshift, and find that I seldom
need to downshift to 4th - usually I need to slow down more than that, so I
use the clutch, and move out of the 3-4 gate to deactivate the OD.
<<snip>>

Jon,
Let's see if I understand this statement. The OD operates in third and
fourth gear, correct? Are you saying that by pressing the clutch, moving the
gear lever out of fourth and over to the neutral position between first and
second, that the overdrive will disengage, and stay disengaged when you
shift into third gear?

Can you explain why you feel it is OK risk loss of lubrication at this time,
but not during engagement (when you don't use the clutch). Is it because the
oil is only pumped around the overdrive while it is operational, or that
there is less stress on the OD during disengagement that when it is engaged?

Please bear with me, I'm very new to all this. The variety of answers is
also very interesting; as always lots of ways to skin the same cat.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Cheers,
Paul.