Re: [Fwd: overdrive transmissions]

From: John Souders (frodo4(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 01:46:55 CDT

You wrote:

>Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 12:32:51 -0700
>From: Joel Shockman <dermat(at)pol.net>
>To: alpine(at)autox.team.net
>Subject: overdrive transmissions
>
>HELP ALPINE OWNERS,
>I am having trouble getting my overdrive to work and need help.I kanow
>that the oil level is fine.and the solenoid kicks in .Is there
anything
>else that can be done other than ripping it out of the car? the o/d
was
>rebuilt last year and operated well for about 600 miles but stopped
>working on the way to florida. it kicked out and in twice and then
>stopped working . the oil level was low and i refilled it but still no
>luck.help appreciated joel

If the oil level gets low enough to disengage, it can also be low
enough to lose lubrication to the internals. This can be rather
expensive. Happened to mine, and although it would not engage after
that I really didnt expect a lot of damage as there were no nasty
noises. On disassembly, I found the the clutch cooked, the bearings in
the planet gears destroyed and the teeth in the analus (outer gear
thingy not something rude!) very worn. The input shaft (output from
box) was blue from heat.

I have a feeling that yours will have to come apart.

John