RE: Hub Puller

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 14:23:00 CDT

Kurt Wrote,

>Hi All,
>
>I have spent the last few weekends trying to rebuild the differential
on my
>Series III. I now have it completely disassembled except for taking the
hubs off
>the axles. I searched all over the place for the plans for a hub puller
or a
>method of getting them off, but came up empty. Could someone please
fill me in
>on how to get these dang things off or at least point me to a
resource? I know
>there has been discussion of it on the list but I couldn't find
anything
>concrete in the archives.
>
>Also, there are some burrs on the edge of some of the differential
gears . How
>do you decide if you should rebuild the gearing? Should I just do it
anyway or
>do they tend to last forever? Is it a job that I can do myself? The
workshop
>manual talked about some pretty tight tolerances and a few very
specialized
>tools.
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>Kurt Eckert
>1963 Series III GT

The diff doesnt require any special tools except the hub puller itself.

If someone "Ramon Spontelli?" will send me the plans for the puller,
I will HTMLize the drawings, and send it to T.J. Higgins for placement
on the Alpine Web Page.

If the car made a whine when going around corners, replace all the
spider
gears in the diff, otherwise use you own good judgment in deciding to
replace the spiders.

I would recommend replacing the conical thrust washers at the ends
of the spider gears at least.

RULE OF THUMB...
If the cost of parts is less than the value of your time to do it again,
Put the new parts in to begin with and rest easier.

Jarrid Gross
SII