Re: Steering wheels, wood or not

From: Lauri Lehtinen (lauri(at)lorenzo.pp.fi)
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 05:20:13 CDT

>Anthony,
>You say your car has a timber steering wheel. Do you know what brand or
>where it came from? Does the reach adjustment of the steering wheel still
>work, and if so how does the horn button work?

My mkIV 64 has an italian Moto-Lita wheel, diameter about 14". It is not
very thick, but I feel it is good to my hands (specially after 7 years...)
and it is very much 60's style; it may have been changed as the car was
new.

It is fixed with small bolts (1/4", maybe, 10 - 12 pcs). Horn works when I
pull turning switch. There may be a switch as original, or at least you can
assemble a microswitch inside the steering axle covers. The reach
adjustment works, but I wonder why. I am a small guy, 175 cm, and I cannot
push the wheel as far away as I would like to to get my arms straight.

Larry,
Helsinki, Finland.