RE: Sticking Valve

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 13:03:00 CDT

Chris wrote,

> Question, how much oil should be squirting out of the holes in the
top
> of the rockers? I am running about 40lbs pressure when hot. I am
not
> running a thermostat so the engine stays fairly cool.

The rocker oil volume is as a function of oil pressure and RPM.

Unless the rocker bushes are excessively worn, or the rubbers that seal
the oil fitting to the rocker shafts are leaking, the quantity of oil is
ample
to lubricate the rockers.

The valve stems are lubricated by oil mist that falls onto the stems,
and
nothing else.

If the guides get too worn, the stem does not cool itself well, as well
as
the engine consumes oil. This can be a source of heat failure.

As for your missing thermostat, most engines require the thermostat to
reduce the velocity of the water, to ensure that hot spots dont develop
in the cooling system in general.

The added velocity of the coolent can show a low reading on the gauge,
but the temperature may be a lot higher in areas where the circulation
is
poor.

I would recomend a good 160 degree part as opposed to none at all.
Or better yet, modify your a thermostat to be welded open, which will
give a reasonable restriction, with a lower operating temperature.

Good luck!

Jarrid Gross