Re: Wheels

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 10:27:00 CDT

Siegfried wrote,

>1) a 205/60x13 (574x204?) extreme width, which apparently needed some
>unspecified mods on the rear (spacers?); and,

(574x204?) or 22.6 inch is the correct dimension for the above tire.

>2) a 185/70x14 (624x186) extreme height - not sure if mods or spacers
>needed.

On this one, I calculate 614mm height, but this is not real data, just
the results of the basic formula h=2*(.70*185)+14*25.4 in mm.

where the .70 is the series (aspect ratio)
185 is the tread width in mm.
and 14 is the rim size in inches.

The problem "if any" will be the tire rubbing on the front valance
during
a turn.
Be ceratin that the 14 inch rim has the same offset as the 13 inch
that you are using now.

>Any others? I'm more interested in the latter for everyday usage - not
>sure if it would actually fit. Also, would a 185/65x15 (~621x185?)
fit?
>How 'bout a 195/65x14 (~609x195?)?

>Hopefully, we can get a decent thread going to "settle" the wheel/tyre
>size issue.

I have installed 185 80 13 tires on the rear, and other than handling
problems, these tires ran no problem.

These tires caluculate to 626mm height, so any reasonable tire that
is this dim or less will work on the rear.

The front is a different story, and the wider the tires you use, the
lower the diameter must be to clear the valance.

Many Tiger owners and some alpine owners run 14 and 15 inch
low profile rims and tires.

I have seen some pretty wide tires on these cars, but many have
the front valance modified for clearance.

I dont have specific data the allowable offset and widths, but I'm
sure somebody will.

Jarrid Gross