Re: Wheels & tires

From: Rootes2(at)aol.com
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 20:00:52 CDT

OK, I'll bite - here's my experience with tire sizes...

My Alpine currently has 165/80r13 tires. IMHO, they are too small in
diameter. When I bought my Cricket, it had one original 560x13 tire in the
trunk, so I sized it up. The closest size I got at the tire store was
175/80r13, which was a touch wider, but about the right diameter. 175/70r13
was a little shorter, and wider than the 175/80. The bizarre thing was,
looking at different brand tires, the diameters were different! It seemed no
two brands were alike. Since my Cricket is an automatic, I went with
185/80r13, to get a little bigger diameter for a slightly reduced engine rpm
at speed. They don't rub on the Cricket, but I know they would on the Alpine.
I think the 175/80r13 would work on my Alpine, but my next set of tires will
be for a set of 14" MGB wires, and I'll have to start all over again!

Jon Arzt Rootes2(at)aol.com

72 Plymouth Cricket 185/80r13
66 Alpine 165/80r13
67 Sunbeam camper 670x15
58 MG Magnette 205/75r15 (the closest I could get in a nice
whitewall!)