Re: AAC: Alpine Authentication Committee

From: RobCarpent(at)aol.com
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 20:33:16 CDT

Jeff Nichols wrote:

 << Maybe its time to start the 'AAC', Alpine Authentication Committee, to
       ensure that Alpines have the correct engines and tags attached by the
       original rivets. We don't want no stinkin' re-engine cars. >>

To Alpinists:

The above jovial comment appeared in reply to a question about engine and
chassis serial numbers matching. Can we take this one step further?

I am enjoying working on my Series V which I acquired last October. I am
learning a lot which is not so hard when you start near zero.

One problem arises that I never would have guessed: to use or not to use
'original' parts.

I want my car to be safe and reliable on the road. I do not seek high
performance and certainly do not plan to race but I would like to have the
best available parts. At the same time I suppose I will want to show it
someday. For that I hear you get downgraded if you make changes.

I can understand a V6 Alpine will not show well in concourse. I understand
that putting in electronic ignition or some other new system that was not
available at the time of manufacture would take away from originality. My
question is where does this quest for originality end. I am told I could
lose points for using synthetic bushings and newer brake flex hoses.

Is that crazy or what? Of course they can only dock you for visible parts
so Ramon's rod bolts should be OK. Any comments before I change the caulking

under the fenders?

Rob Carpenter
Series V [up on jacks, front suspension out, pile of mud below each front
              wheel well]