Re: Oil filters

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 1997 - 10:03:00 CDT

Alpiners,

>Rootes(at)AOL.com wrote:
>>
>> Oh, an added feature of the SAAB filter - it's made in Great Britain!
>>
>> Jon Arzt Rootes(at)aol.com
>
>uttooh , will it leak like my alpine?
>chuck, series ll

A while back, I had my wife take the Jeep in to the dealership
to have an oil leak rectified. The oil in on the floor of my garage
was obviously gear oil "due to the smell". The dealership called
her back later in the day to say that they found the leak, and wanted
$100 to fix it. I intervened and asked why is it not under warrantee,
and they said well, your oil filter "Mopar" was leaking, and we have
to charge you for our troubleshooting time. The vehilce was only
a year old into its 60000 mile drivetrain warrantee.

I said Bull$$$$, that jeep doesent leak engine oil, it leaks gear oil,
look closer!

They called me back saying yeah, it looks like it leaks there too.

They ended up having to replace the drive yoke on the driveline
as it had ahole in it.

When I went to go pick the jeep up, they handed me the $100 bill,
and expected me to pay, I said go get me the filter and show me
the leak. Sure enough, the filter had stress cracks along the welded
bead on the side of the filter. Good thing it said mopar on it, and I
had a reciept to show that the same dealer had installed it less
than 1000 miles earlier.

I wonder if those Mopar filters are made by Peugoet in the old
Coventry factory where the ole alpines were made.
Wouldnt that be some serious Karma.

Jarrid