Re: oil filters

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 14:39:00 CDT

Tony Leeming wrote,

>Chuck - they appear to have just cross - referenced you over to a NAPA
>product, so how does NAPA rate to the real thing? Based on what Jarrid
>says I think if you are going to use a NAPA filter,it needs to be a
PH16
>or a PH43.
>Jarrid?
>Tony Leeming
>The wet wet coast

Ive seen all sorts of filters that ought to fit the alpine, and Ive yet
to see one that really had the famed oil non return flap.

When I bought the motor that I eventually built into my driver
motor, the filter base had had a rootes filter on it.
I should have written down the number.

The filter was absolutely frozen to the filter base, and I had
to cut the filter away with a hacksaw to get it off.
It had the flapper in it, but relied upon the weight of the oil
in the canister to seal off the flapper, so as to prevent oil
from returning to the sump.

Looked like it might have worked till the hot oil distorted the
rubber flapper inside.

I have seen just about all the mentioned filters at one time or
another, and thus far, they have been constructed identically
to the PH8 filter.
This said, unless this Mann filter "havent seen this one" has
the flapper, I think you ought to resign yourselves to never get
one of these filters again.

Under this scenario, the PH16 or lower volume equiv. would be best
in lieu of the inverse mounted relocation kit.

Jarrid Gross