overdrive

From: William Lewis (wrlewis(at)ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 21:21:17 CDT

Jarrid
        The pins for the planetary gears are toast on my exploded OD.
Maybe the thing did run out of oil. As far as I know, the planetary and
sun gears are not proprietary to the Sunbeam and should be available on
other units. Have you checked with the local Volvo guys or local tranny
shops to see if they have any parts lying around?

Alpiners
        I keep wondering if I could rebuild this wrecked overdrive. They
are rare enough that it would be nice to be able to do so. The planetary
and sun gears are destroyed, but the gears on the annulus are fine. The
clutch surface on the annulus is out of round and would probably tear up a
clutch, but I wonder if I could have a machine shop straighten it and
maybe turn it a little to smooth it out. If I can, then I may be able to
get the thing rebuilt. Has anybody had experience with ressurecting a unit
this far gone?

Bill Lewis
Series II

P.S. I am very worried about my car. Everything seems to be working very
well in it. This usually means something horrible is about to happen.
Something about the balance of nature in Britain.