alternators

From: Anthony Robinson (anthonyr(at)aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 00:38:38 CDT

Hi,

just a note to say thanks to Tom W. for his techtip on alternators. This
gave me the confidence to have a bash at it myself, and now everything is AOK.

In addition, the alternator I found was made by Bosch in Australia and
intended for use as a replacement for dynamos on a range of General Motors
- Holdens. As such there is no wiring to do other than to join the narrow
lead from the generator to the warning light and the Thick lead to the
ignition and battery leads. This requires only clipping existing leads
together. Simple. It was pretty cheap too, $AUS110 for a brand new unit.

I did have to make a bracket.

If any one is interested I can remember to bring in the model number. It
probably wouldn't fit the engines with tubular extractors however.

One Question: how do alternators make such high current at low rpm? It
easily manages to balance the headlights and etc at idle of ~800 rpm.

Anthony, Series II, 1725 engine with alternator.

PS: for no known reason, it seems to have made the car smoother?!?!?