G forces and pushing

From: Sergio Dimarmo (wanderer(at)sure.net)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 21:54:56 CDT

Sorry this is not Alpine related....maybe the subject is a little.

I just traded in my 1995 Escort GT for a new Escort ZX2 and had a
question on the ratings in the skidpad test. Both cars were tested by
Car & Driver magazine and both had .80g's on a 300 ft skidpad which I
know has something to do with cornering grip, right? Both have the same
size tires P185/60/15 both have strut suspension. My old GT seemed to
handle a lot more speed thru the corners before starting to push the
front end. The ZX2 rides a little smoother and doesn't have that firm
road feeling like my GT did. Anyways my question is, how could they have
the same skidpad rating and handle so much differently? I'm baffled and
a little depressed that the ZX2 does not match my old GT cause I like to
go around corners. Any thought from you racers?

Serg

PS...what do you think the Alpine would rate on such a test?