Re: G forces and pushing

From: jarrid_gross(at)juno.com
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 00:20:53 CDT

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 13:52:18 +1000 Anthony Robinson
<anthonyr(at)aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU> writes:

>The Car and Driver report of 1960 tested the Alpine in a Road research
>Report.
>On a 200 ft diameter skid pan they got a maximum speed of 48 mph.
>

>The calculations for this are:
>
>Acceleration = velocity squared / radius = (21.5 m/s)^2 / 30.48 m =
>7.58 m/s/s
>
>This actually gives 1.54g's. (too high)
>
>But if the 200ft is radius instead of diameter then we get 0.77g's.
>
>I've double checked my maths, can someone help.

Math looks good, but the 80 series tires used on the 60s alpines would
not
have given quite so impressive figures.

Skid pad G's are G's that the car can maintain statically, so an under
powered
car "read alpine" would not fair well. As stock tiger with decent tyres
would
pull this kind of number, but an alpine would net high .60 g figures in
stock
form.

I need to get an accelerometer on my alpine with 60 series road race
tyres.
I think it could get into the high .80s, but thats about all she'll hold
without
slicks.

Perhaps the testing method has changed between now and then,
like if they took a dive into a turn at 45 and the car didnt go into a
spin,
that means the car handles right?

Jarrid Gross