RE: water pumps

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 10:02:00 CDT

 ----------
From: Christie, Scott E. (CAP, CSIG)

>I need a new water pump. Some time ago there was discussion as to the
>pros and cons of aluminum versus cast iron housing, metal vs. plastic
>impellor, etc. Can someone enlighten me on what to look for? Or point
me
>to the proper month/year in the archives (this should be searchable
some
>day, right T.J.?)
>I'm looking at purchasing either an aluminum or cast iron water pump,
>both rebuilt, both Quinton Hazel.
>Thanks.
>Scott Christie

Scott, after removing quite a few of these from old engines here is what
I have to say.

The plastic impellors nearly always come out cracked, and sometimes
not even connected to the pumps shaft. I dont know if the factory ever
shipped the plastic ones, but they ought to have been shot if they did.

The Iron cases were probably built for the Iron head hilmans, and
will contribute to head passage electrolitic corrosion, and thus should
be avoided if possible.

Many of these QH cases have been rebuilt over the years, so
its probably next to impossible to tell what is inside by number.

Jarrid Gross