RE: the blower man!!!

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 10:21:00 CDT

joe kleifges wrote,

>does anyone know about the type/make/mounting of a blower that would go
>on a 1725??? obviously, someone has one, but i haven't heard of one,
and
>i've never seen it mentioned here before. i don't think it could fit on
> left hand drive alpine unless you put in "tiger" steering.

I am all for modifying your alpine to do whatever trips your trigger,
after all its your car.

One thing that I would never do or recommend to have done to
an alpine would be to turbo or supercharge a Rootes motor.

Its been done before, so there is no "new art" here.

The alpine motors on the road today are 30+ years old, and
unfortunately metal does age.
stress cracks propogate through rods, crank and even blocks, that
are just begging to be liberated. These cracks dont need the
additional encouragement of a super charger to manifest themselves.

The amount of $$$$$ and resources needed to build a reliable
Rootes powered car with the the afformentioned niceties would break
the average alpine owner in required upgrades.

For the money and grief, I would sooner stuff a 2000cc Pinto Ford
with mild turbo and EFI into the alpine.
It will cost you less short and long term, and you will have
availability
to a plethora of performance parts, plus a 5 speed bolt on box.

Not to dash any Alpine powered monster hopes here, but ruining
an otherwise healthy Rootes engine with a turbo doesnt make a
whole lot of sense unless you have really deep pockets and
really twisted views on originality.

Jarrid Gross