...12 imperial inches, but I don't use it as a rule

From: Andy Whiteford (A.G.Whiteford(at)gcal.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 06:50:30 CDT

>> >Since some poor king's foot was used as the model for this standard
>> >"monarchs name escapes me now", I have concluded through solid
>> >scientific means that this poor kings feet were appoximately 31 U.S.
>> >inches long.
>> >BTW Some people say there is a strong correlation beteween the
>> >size of ones feet and the size of ones......

influence in post-feudal society, methinks.

It was fat King Henry the Eighth, him of the rather enlightened "I don't
like wife number five, chop her head off and bring me another" attitude.
His thumb gave us the inch, his arm's length the yard, and his height, the
fathom. (and his weight, the half-ton ?)
Reminds me of another documented tale, that of King Edward VII (Edward and
divorcee Mrs Wallace Simpson, right?). He abdicated the throne for her in
1936, partly, the story goes, because she consented to a "reduction
operation" so as to better accomodate Eddie's rather unfortunately small
"Crown Jewel". It's true, I swear.
(yeah, I know... enough right royal rubbish. Next up is a question on servo
interchangability.
Promise.)