RE: reply to Emily on seat belts.

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 10:37:00 CDT

 ----------
From: GDWF22A(at)prodigy.com

>Being an open car with no roll bar or roll cage.....may I suggest you
>portect your life with a proper H type belt which anchors to the
>floor 45 deg. on a line back from your from shoulders, and....
>connects to a 3" wide lap belt which also can have a crotch or anti-
>submarine belt.
>This is std. requirement in SCCA and hot rod assn. They are easily
>available from hot rod shops as well as from race supply shops.
>In the event of head on crash or roll over, this WILL give the best
>possible protection. The std. US car lap belt with diagonal shoulder
>strap is of course better than just a lap belt BUT.....the H type is
>your best line of defense.
>As an old racer of Alpines and others, believe what I am saying.
>Dick T.

I am not so certain what Dick means when he speaks of an H
belt. I assume he is speaking of a 4 point harness.
While I am all for the best possible safety equipment,
I would like to point out that it is unsafe to mount a 4 point
harness with out a roll bar, or equivilent mounting bar for
the shoulder mounts.

The reason is simple.
While it is totally possible to mount all 4pts or 5 "with submarine"
to the floor panels, the shoulder mounts must be mounted
above the driver or passengers shoulders.
With floor mounted rear brakets, the harness will compress the
occupants spinal column and back In a rear end collision.
This setup also give very limited lateral protection .

The resultant injury can be worse than not having a belt at all.

If you think you need a 4 point, be sure to head this message
and mount the rear belts it to a roll bar above shoulder level.

Jarrid Gross