Re: Servos, Girling IIB & Lockheed 4258-221

From: jarrid_gross(at)juno.com
Date: Sat Oct 18 1997 - 00:29:27 CDT

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:38:49 -0400 (EDT) Rootes(at)aol.com writes:

>Not entirely true.... VW uses a DOT4 as OE fluid, and it quite nicely
>ate up
>the seals on my Alpine's brakes. And, they had all been rebuilt or
>replaced
>with new (within 6 years) production parts.
>
>YMMV, FWIW
>
>Jon Arzt Rootes(at)aol.com

Yes, there may be a difference bewteen available U.S. DOT 4 fluid,
and Lucas/Girling/lockeed/Castol LMA DOT 4 fluid.

I can say for certain that standard DOT 3 fluid will kill the natural
rubber
seals sooner or later. I learned the hard way. DPO had'nt a clue, and
seals began to weep only days after purchase.

As far as the DOT 4 stuff goes, be certain its for an english auto.
It will say so on the bottle.

Jarrid Gross