transmission noises

From: Agent 86 (anthonyr(at)aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 02:55:41 CDT

Steve,

this may just be the cap which holds the swivle ball at the bottom of the
gearstick into its housing. It is located by four screws/bolts. These used
to come loose on my Minx and I would grease the ball whenever I used to
tighten the screws. It used to make a zzzzzey, vibratey type noise.

I think a lot of them used to come loose because out of the four gearboxes
I've had they've never had all the original screws.

Anthony, Series II

ps. Is it just me or would other people have trouble hearing this sort of
thing above 4500 rpm in their alpine?