transmission noises

From: rootes(at)ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 02:22:44 CDT

Howdy:
I'm fishing for ideas on this problem with my 67 Series V Alpine that I
bought a month ago. I've sorted out most of the problems but here's a
new one:

At medium to high speeds and rpms (above 4,000, usually), I get what I
percieve as a "grinding" and or high speed "rattling" from what seems
like the shift lever area of the trans. Here's what I know: the "yoke"
that holds the driveshaft into the transmission seems sound with very
little free play, and the U joints seem fine. The drive shaft can be
turned 1/2 to 3/4 inch in either turning direction, by hand, before
resistance is met. I've been told this is not necessarily abnormal and
in any event wouldn't be causing the noise.

A mechanic who has helped me a lot with the car told me there is a "dust
plate" inside the top cpver of the transmission that looses its screws
after time and therefore causes rattling like I'm describing. I've been
advised to remove a side plate on the transmission tunnel and either use
a clamp of some sort to secure the plate, or remove it all together.

Looking at the shop manual, the only picture shown is for a Rootes
column shift top cover but in any event, it shows an item called a
"splash plate". Is this what's being talked about that is looke and is
rattling? From the picture, this doesn't make sense unless all the
screws holding the top cover down have come out!

Shifting seems completely normal and at slower speeds there's rarely any
noise. The noise does occasionaly sound up at different RPMs. Sometimes
it may be worse at 4,000 RPM and others at 4500 or 3500.

Sorry to go on for so long but does anyone have any ideas on what this
may be and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. I need it!!

Steve Sage
rootes(at)ix.netcom.com