RE: Windscreen Replacement

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 11:50:00 CDT

 ----------
From: Ron Tebo
To: All
Subject: Windscreen Replacement
Date: Sunday, October 19, 1997 7:54AM

>I am about to replace my windshield and want to know if this is a job I
>should do myself (or, should I take it to a glass shop?). Would a glass
>shop have the proper windshield to frame and frame to body seals or
>should I order these first? I also want to replace the dash pad (and
>have one from a Series V in good condition) and I know it goes under
the
>windshield frame. Is there anything I should know about while
>re-installing the frame (eg: to insure the hard top still fits,etc.) I
>seem to recall someone discussing difficulty with shims at some time
but
>have been unable to find it.

>Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

>Ron Tebo - Series I - B9000627

The windscreen to body seal is a rubber noodle that must have
some holes cut in it to fit your windscreen studs.
You can glue the noodle to the bottom of the windscreen if you
wish as wll as the body.

The rubber windscreen seal is one piece, and cant be bought
from a "generic" glass shop.

Try on of the sunbeam vendors here.
Reassembling the early frame is a royal pain, and unless
you are really clever and patient, send this off to a glass house
to have them reassemble the frame.

I had to make a frame compressor with a leverage pulley
scheme to pull the frame together so that the screws could
be installed.

The SV dashpads fit pretty well, but of course will need
some minor tweeks and cuts for propper fit/look.

The windscreen mounts atop the dashpad, and proper angle
of the windscreen is adjusted by shimming the loose side, then
tightening the whole thing down. I used rubber heater hose as shim.

Use a hardtop/softop for mounting as well as your teenie weenie
window pillars/window as a parellel refference to the windscreen.

Jarrid Gross