seat belts

From: Paul Gilbert (pgilbert(at)worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 19:52:05 CDT

Thanks to all who responded to my daughter Emily's call for help in
locating seat belts for her soon to be Alpine SV. She has a brand new
drivers license (test taken in Mom's automatic transmission car) and has
worked diligently with me on getting this car into reliable driving
shape. One of the line items on the "Driving Contract" right after
"Thou shalt have no speeding tickets" was "Thou shalt always wear seat
belts".

Of course there are no seat belts installed and Daddy is not operating
with the dispatch in installing them that a teenager anxious to lay
hands on her new car deems appropriate. It had been my intention to
make a Saturday trip to the U-Pull-It junk yard and find a couple of
suitable 3 point belts to adapt to the Alpine. I figured that anchoring
them with 3" backing washers to the floor pans and fender wells would
suffice. Now I am concerned.

I think that a complex seat belt scheme would be counter productive as
kids might not make the effort to strap on all the gear. I think I will
stay with the three point thing. I would appreciate any advice on how
to best hook them up.

Question #2. How many Martinis does it take to steady one's nerves
sufficiently to teach a teenager how to use a clutch??