Re: seat belts (and seats)

From: K. Patrick Wheeler (pwheeler(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 23:52:12 CDT

While enjoying the technical nature of the discussion, I think you are 100%
accurate in your decision to keep it simple. My late model SV came with (to
me that is, not meaning to imply that it was original) a three point belt
system that seems well installed and offers good support and ease of use.
The lap belts are installed in the standard locations, one behind the brake
lever slightly up the fender wall towards the 'back seat' and the other next
to the console exactly opposite. The shoulder belt is fastened equidistance
between the two (directly behind the drivers back) at the far back of the
'back seat' attaching to the highest place that offers any structural
integrity and attempting to minimize the vertical angle that would cause the
downward spinal pressure that was dicussed previously. The shoulder belt
ends in a simple metal loop that fits over the prong end of the lap belt
before it is inserted in the receiving end. The webbing looks new and I am
sure that a similar setup can be purchased from J.C. Whitney or any of the
big chain stores. It would be a bit more difficult to install for the
passenger due to the battery location. Any ideas?

BTW someone asked about seats recently, I've a pair of what I believe are
Mustang seats that are quite comfy and offer a lot more and flatter shoulder
support than the originals (have not looked into head rests or really
considered them at this point). They are a bit large and take a bit more
leg room than might be desireable, but I have been happy to have them in my
daily driver .