More Alpine Questions

From: rootes(at)ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 03:25:37 CDT

Thanks to everone who gave me advice on my trans noises. I'm going to
try out several suggestions in the next few days.

Here's two more fun things with my car that I'd like to hear everyone's
experiences with.

Exhaust fumes. I've got them in the passenger compartmet. I've changed
the fuel tank crossover hose, plugged all the holes going into the
passenger compartment and the trunk (including the jacking points, etc),
and have replaced the door rubber. The only major thing I haven't
replaced is the shifter boot which I've ordered and should get in a
couple of days. I've leaned up my Stromberg carbs a bit. I still get
noxious fumes in the passenger compartment. Any suggestions other than
running it with the top down all year?

Next, I have a NEW noise. A sharp "clunk". Turns out the shock absorber
behind the drivers seat ( or on the left rear, for you right hand
drivers out there) seems loose at the top. I took off the rubber boot
that covers the top of the shock and you can move it enough to get a
"clank" which is of course much louder when it's under load. I couldn't
figure out how to tighten this down. Turning the bolt at the top of the
shock does no good and it just keeps on turning. Is something broken,
and if so, how do I fix it? Will I damage something if I keep driving it
until it's fixed?

Finally, one of you suggested that the shifter may be causing my
transmission grinding noise. This makes sense. Where the shifter meets
the ball below it, there is a good deal of space and free play so that
you can move the shifter a bit before the ball moves. Is this normal or
should the shifter and ball basically be one piece?

I'd better log off as it's 1:30 AM and I have to get up at 6:30 to go to
work to earn money to pur back into the Alpine. If I stay up longer,
I'll think of more ways to spend money on it!

Thanks to everyone again!!!!

Steve Sage
rootes(at)ix.netcom.com