Need Help With Spark

From: Chris Stephenson (cstephenson(at)dttus.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 11:21:24 CDT

     First of all, it seems that everytime I send a message, my provider
     multiplies it by some unknown number greater than 1. So, I apologize
     in advance for those that will receive multiple copies of this
     message.

     Now for the real content - I am experiencing intermittent spark which
     is causing my Series III to run poorly. I first discovered this when I
     attached a timing light to #1 plug wire. The light only flashed some
     of the time. If I pull the wire out from the distributor and create an
     arc, the car runs fine and the light flashes as it should. I seem to
     remember having this same problem about 16 years ago, but can't
     remember how I solved it. Here is what I have done:
     1. I have sanded all contact surfaces
     2. Replaced Distributor Cap, Plugs and Wires
     3. I have NOT replaced the Coil, Points, Condenser or Rotor

     Also, I too get exhaust smell in the car. I can't remember when I
     haven't. The exhaust system was installed by Midas many years ago. I
     have had it replaced several times. I also get this in the Jag when
     the windows are down. Is there some sort of wind dynamics involved
     here that blow the exhaust back in the car, or does Midas do sloppy
     work?

     Chris Stephenson
     Atlanta, GA
     Alpine III