Re: Bad motor

From: John Souders (frodo4(at)ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 15:00:47 CDT

I had the exact problem years ago with my Morris Minor. 3 bearing crank
that cracked between the final main and the output shaft. Hell of a
noise. I actually drove it home.
I believe the problem stemmed (apart from my merciless driving) from
the fact that the previous owner had run the engine on 2 or 3 cylinders
for a long time (valves shot/ needed to get to the store etc).
I may have a series 4 crank - need to look. Are they the same? Where
are you located?

John

You wrote:

>As I was driving to a rally last Saturday in my S3 it made a really
bad =
>noise. the noise was a deep clunking noise that got considerably
better =
>when the clutch was engaged. I stopped immediately and called the tow
=
>truck. being an eternal optimist(I have to be with three MGs and an =
>Alpine) I thought it was probably the clutch coming apart or maybe a =
>transmission problem. When I got a chance to inspect it when I got
home =
>however it sounded more like I had thrown a rod so I pulled off the
oil =
>pan and looked around. at first I didn't see anything but then I
spied =
>some metal bits around the no. 4 crank journal. I pulled off the
bearing =
>cap expecting to see a spun bearing but there was only minor scoring
on =
>the bearing surface. I then looked up at the journal and was shocked
at =
>what I saw. there was a crack all the way through the crank.
apparently =