Re[2]: Need Help With Spark

From: Chris Stephenson (cstephenson(at)dttus.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 08:15:04 CDT

     Thanks for the reply Jarrid, I did checked the dwell and even adjusted
     it a little. In the process, I also cleaned the points. I left the
     fact that I did as an assumption in my previous post. I agree with
     your reasoning, however, this is not the case here. The car will run
     fine if I arc the spark from the wire to the distributor cap. As a
     temporary fix, I have adjusted the wire with it's rubber cap so that
     it is not seated in the distributor and is continuously arcing. I
     drove it to work today that way and everything is fine.

     I guess my question really is why does it run correctly when I arc the
     spark and doesn't when I push the wire all the way in the cap -
     especially when I cleaned all surfaces. Does the rotor affect this? I
     have swapped several caps and several wire sets trying to diagnose.
     One thing that I also did which I did not think was related was
     replace my generator. I did this two days ago. Could this have any
     affect on the strength of the spark and cause this problem? I will
     test this theory tonight or tomorrow. If it runs fine after I push the
     wire in, I will conclude that I was not getting enough voltage (or
     amps - I am an financials consultant, not an electrical engineer so I
     do not know which will affect the spark). Your thoughts please.

     Chris